Saturday 11 February 2023

EXT: Roadhouse

 


Yes! Another victory over the concrete!

This batch was rotten to paint. A large grab bag of assorted concrete struts, plus an even larger grab bag of tiny concrete corner clips. Sheer slog, not an ounce of joy until the end when I could varnish them and throw them into the 'done' pile. 

I will not tax you with many photos, just one to give you an inkling of what I was up against. 

Sheaves and sheaves of these, the edge sections that fill out the floor pieces so they cover the wall fully. Some have hazard stripes, because (god help me) I needed the variety to stay sane. 

Those shorter bits above weren't the smallest. There were even smaller bits for corners, as well as the square plates that sit atop each pillar and let everything else plug into them. The only solution I could come up with for making them bearable was to clip them together in fat squares that looked a bit like liquorice allsorts and batch paint them. Putting them together was even worse than painting them. Bleh.

See those little buggers on the near corner? Imagine about sixty of those, as well as the tiny flat plate under them. I'm getting twitchy just remembering.

At least I got to put the kit together at the end. We aren't quite done yet, there are short walls and wall feature plugs still to go, but I'm something like 75% finished, and it's looking good so far!

Here we go, a multi-level complex, just what it's designed to build.

Not going to lie, it's fairly fiddly to put together. So something like a big fat GW ruin will fill similar table size in much less time, but you can't tear that down and rebuild it afterwards.

Next time, when it's all finished, I need to have a proper backdrop for the photos.

That's a good two square feet of terrain! A proud stronghold for any gang.


2 comments:

  1. Some consolation in retrospect I hope in that it does look very good. Any the ability to dismantle and rearrange or flatpack is definitely a plus too. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the flatpack ability is pretty key these days!

      Delete