Tuesday 15 January 2019

Black to the Future


We've been here before.




With little else in the leadpile to do right now, I'm trucking on through a second set of Blackstone Fortress. And taking my time, for once! So barely a model a minute.


The squaddies are the slog in the set, two fairly small squads to be fair, but nobody likes painting the same thing over and over. I took my clippers to this set, which may earn a permanent place on the shelf or may get sold in due course. Nothing major, just a few head swaps and gun changes, but enough to break it up a little.


I did yellow and blue last time, and although I was wondering about doing camouflage again, I didn't fancy it this time. One red and brass squad, clearly leaning towards Khorne. And then the vilest traitors I could think up - Cadian Deserters, who've fled the 509th to hide in the shadows of the Blackstone.


Although I've also been very busy doing scenery, I kept finding extra models from the box creeping into this batch. Alpha Legion marines, which meant filing off the Black Legion markings and crudely daubing hydras onto these three. To make up for it, there's also a bit of metallic shimmer paint (Emeral Getaway) over the blue. Not sure how well the camera has caught it, but it certainly works in real life.

Speaking of metallic shimmer paints, the Spindle Drones! Who have also had their eyes cut off and replaced with tiny gems. Dammit, the sockets are just a smidge too small to fit these into without carving bigger holes, which I didn't fancy. They sure are spindly, and poking around on them with a drill was hair-raising stuff. Wouldn't want to try and glue those legs back on.


Two heroes to finish. Kas and I are on our third outing to the Fortress, and these two have been leading the pack. The wonderful UR-025, also covered in metallic shimmer (Red Goblin), who I could paint all year long and not get tired of.

Although I can confirm I am vanishingly unlikely to paint him again.

And the Rogue Trader himself, now in British Empire colours.


The other half still to do. But first, some battles!

4 comments:

  1. Hot damn, those are some good colour choices.

    I almost bad for leaving my set lingering on the leadpile. And compelled to steal that Rogue Trader scheme. So conflicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I might have to go with Alpha Legion for the CSM as well. They've always been my guys. The bases are looking much better. Practice pays off! Just assembling the Spindle Drones normally was stressful enough. Not sure I could bring myself to try converting them unless I had a spare set that were disposable. Both groups of Renegades look pretty cool. But Cadian traitors! Despicable! UR-025 looks awesome in that shimmer paint, and the RT is just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete