I smell the blood of Forge World Resin!
Bog Daemons! One of my favourite bits of Old World lore were the Fimir. I first met them in Heroquest, where their cheerfully derpy models intrigued me. I knew what an Orc or a Goblin was, but these were new. Were they a sort of lizardman?
They very rarely appeared in any official stuff (roleplay or battle), but they had quite detailed fluff regarding their society and origins. They really felt like a forgotten part of the game's story, dim and misty figures lurking in the farthest backwaters of the world.
Pootle ran a WFRP campaign set in Marienburg, one with an elaborate political mystery that we sadly never finished. One of the last sessions we did run had a big set piece battle against Fimir raiders in a desolate part of the Wastelands, one we only just scraped through. The big fellas are plenty tough!
This group is out-of-print Forge World resin stuff, one of the many bits of theirs that I would have loved to buy at the time and never got round to. Kas managed to source some as part of my commission payment, and I'm very glad to have them.
Last I saw of them in licensed stuff was their inclusion as units in Warhammer: Total War, where you can recruit them to Norscan factions along with their Meargh and Dirach sorcerers as heroes. They're sneaky units in that game, they cloak themselves in mist until they're close enough to charge (just like in the fluff!). They based the in-game models on these ones, lumpy, drab and very hard hitting.
As with most GW stuff, they're stolen from folklore, Irish legends concerning the original inhabitants of Ireland before people turned up and nicked it from them. No wonder they don't get on with humans.
Three Fimir Warriors (or Fimm) and a Noble, perhaps one of the Fianna Fimm. Just as the original fluff suggests, the noble has extra spikes tied to his tail club. It kept getting tangled in the marsh grass on the other models' bases during photography, I'm sure it's not a practical weapon. Not that practicality is highly considered by these guys, who are all armed with stone lampposts.
Will they ever get used for anything? Oh, who cares! I've based them to match my swamp collection, I'm sure I can squeeze them into a match at some point. Right sized bases for Chaos Spawn, Ogryns or random Necromunda horrors, amongst others. They can rest in the hallowed Shelves of Hobby for now, I've got more white armour to paint.
Love a Fimir. Maybe they'd have caught on if their original stats had been suitable for ogre-sized lads on 40mm bases, and not just slightly beefier than an orc.
ReplyDeleteYeah, they were pretty weaksauce back in the day! The forge world stat line was more ogre-like (3W, decent toughness), and I was pleased to discover these models got an Age of Sigmar statline too where they kept their upgrades. Part of me is even pleased that they still never see the table much, in keeping with their nature!
DeleteFimtastic!
ReplyDeleteThey look fantastic! As soon as I saw the first pic my mind went back to that Marienburg campaign with the Fimir - that particular section was inspired by Beowulf, switching in some Fimir for the monsters in the marsh. I remember realising that the adventure was very talk-focussed so consciously added some hack 'n' slash elements like that (and the Paranoia interludes) to keep your interest up!
ReplyDelete