Wednesday 6 December 2017

In The Bleak Middenheimer...

My third day of the Advent challenge, and my third strike on the Naughty List. I can't really complain, Santa knows what I've been up to.


So here's a selection box of Mordheim goodies!

Only two of these five are actual Mordheim models (they're ruinously expensive on eBay, even for an obsessive completionist like me), but they'll fill in the blanks nicely for my half-finished Reiklanders and Middenheimers.

The only genuine Middenheimer in my set. I'd really like to add the two leader scupts at some point, as they both look cracking. Fortunately, with the New GW in place, they may reappear in their 'cast-on-demand' service, and I wouldn't have to pay upwards of £20 for a model

Middenheimer Champion, Mordheim, Warhammer Fantasy Skirmish
I think he was sculpted to be wearing trousers, but I leaned into the whole 'Cold Weather Conan' look.

Which is ironic, as the models I'm proxying - Teutogen Guard - aren't exactly cheap on the secondary market either.

They look a bit over-armoured for Mordheim, so one of them is going to be the leader, and another will just be a very extravagant champion, but they certainly look the part.

"Call casting - get us a Skarsgård."

Now, it may look like these were just undercoated, then drybrushed to look like armour/fur, but trust me: they were heavily in the Naughty List camp (as my 3am completion time will attest).

I pushed myself to try something new, and so their faces and beards were done with layering (Kislev Flesh over Bugman's Glow), rather than my usual wash n' drybrush.

"They ask if we want another Skarsgård?"
"We'll take him!"

For the Reiklanders, another proxy: none other than the renowned dogs of war captain, Rodrigo Delmonte of the Alcatani Fellowship!

He got replaced as the unit champion, as he is a total mis-match with the rest of the regimental aesthetic, and I'm still not keen on his awkward right arm and overall derpy expression.

And if that wasn't enough to make me hate the model, I decided to freehand on the shoulderplate and eyepatch (the sodding eyepatch!). Sorry Rodrigo, but you're getting used a Skaven-bait on the next mission.

Rodrigo Delmonte, Alcatani Fellowship, Dogs of War, Warhammer Fantasy
"I see no Skaven."
Finally, my favourite model of the bunch: the Reiklander Captain. The other captain variant is none too impressive (plate armour, static pose, pistol), but they've really compensated with this one. I love the cutlass/buckler combo on any model, all complimented by his ornate armour, fancy cloak and awesome feathered cap.

I used layering for his face (not entirely convinced it's better than drybrushing, but at least you don't wash time for a wash to dry) and again for the feathers and cloak. The rests is fairly standard for metals and leathers, but I've very happy with the result.

Reiklander Captain, Mordheim, Warhammer Fantasy Skirmish
In the movie, you'd cast Timothy Spall

So that's five models done, who now complete two warbands (ready for that 2018 Mordheim reboot - let's all believe)

Reiklanders, Mordheim, Warhammer Fantasy Skirmish
Sigmar!

I've got a pool of non-specific henchmen for the heroes to draw from, although now I'm thinking the pickings might be too slim for two warbands (maybe I need to invest in that Frostgrave set?)

Middenheimers, Mordheim, Warhammer Fantasy Skirmish
Ulric!

And my 3am sacrifice was not wasted - I get my next assignment: it's from the Nice List!


No comments:

Post a Comment