Thursday 8 December 2016

Eight Expendable Extras

On the eighth day of Advent, the WoffBoot brought to me ... Eight Goblins Knocking!

"Don't worry, they won't get through that unless they have a ... oh, they do."

More ... more... Moria!

This is the third batch of Moria Goblins, which brings me up to 24 total, and halfway through the whole mob of little critters.

 Moria Goblins from Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game
"Good job I brought my poking stick... I'd hate to face a Balrog without this."

It was spears this time, which makes them even simpler (if that were possible) than the sword or bow-armed goblins.

 Moria Goblins from Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game
"Are you going to audition for The Hobbit?"
"No. Have some dignity. I'm doing panto."

In fact, these made quite a nice little palette cleanser. There's some small details to attend to, but mostly they're done with a few flicks of the brush, for quite a nice effect. I should always ensure I have a half-dozen of these within reach for hobby hiatuses (and fortunately, I do).

 Moria Goblins from Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game
"So we just run through the door?"
"Yes,"
"But what if they have bows?"
"JUST RUN THROUGH THE DOOR!"

And because I vowed I'd leaven every Moria Goblin update with a different model - here's a bonus Cave Troll!

Cave Troll from Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game
Pictured: Not Bert, Harry or Tom

I wasn't blown away by this model, despite the fact that it was quicker to paint than a goblin (Nuln Oil wash over the grey primer, successive drybrushing, underbelly, weapons, details and done!).

It's not a very exciting model or sculpt, the pose is more awkward than dynamic, and there wasn't a whole lot to work with (or at least, not enough to inspire me to try).

The sculpts in the LotR line are generally top-notch, so maybe this was a limitation of having to work with a push-fit plastic model, or maybe just trying to be faithful to the film version (which was no great shakes either).

Cave Troll from Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game
Glad to see the back of him.

And so this completes the box set of the 'Mines of Moria' expansion for LotR!

Well... except for all the dungeon scenery, but you can't expect miracles at this time of year.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work! I liked the film troll, but this guy does look a bit like he's skipping.

    What's that you ae basing them with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just Astrogranite texture paint, drybrushed with White Scar - the quick and easy method of basing, but a lot less faff than flock.

      Delete