But has it really been 25 years since Scott and Charlene walked down the aisle to the heartbreaking tunes of Angry Anderson? Yes, it has: Scott and Charlene from Neighbours are now celebrating their Silver Wedding Anniversary, and if that doesn't make you feel old, here's another:
It has been 25 years since I saw this commercial on telly, and knew what was going at the top of my list to Santa*.
*Yes, that would make me 10 years old at the time. Yes, I still believed. I have a vivid and magical imagination. Go and watch The Polar Express and stop looking at me like that.
Let's just dwell on that memory:
- Christopher Lee is narrating. Because of course Christopher Lee is narrating.
- Why does the child with the Broadsword card sound like Clive Owen?
- The player line-up doesn't match the ones of my experience (several family members dragged to the Boxing Day table, humouring me, dozing off or just complaining loudly)
- I think the 'Fire of Wrath' caster's voice is about to break.
- At the end, the kid in the DM chair becomes a monster (making it the most accurate disclaimer ever added to a commercial).
I still have my trusty Heroquest set (plus Ogre Kingdom expansion), although most of the furniture has been pillaged for spares, and some vandal has daubed all the miniatures with a crude enamel paint.
However, I now learn of a Kickstarter campaign to create a Heroquest 25th Anniversary Edition that looks absolutely cracking. I've never been led down the crowd-funding games route before, but at around £55, I might very well be tempted by this.
For no other reason that to atone for my very first paint job...
|"What have we become?"|